Company or Institution
Science For You (SciFY)
Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
SDG 4: Quality Education
General description of the AI solution
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is changing our present and future with applications in every field. AI skills and knowledge boost demand for relevant professionals. The dialogue around AI opens and is significantly strengthened, along with the political will for the formation of AI in a human-centered, ethical way and with the aim of the "AI for good". But this commitment at the top levels (e.g. EU levels) will be useless if the public does not participate in the democratic processes that will emerge to fulfill the vision of the declaration and the action plans.
Unfortunately, citizens and professionals remain largely unaware of what AI is and is not, its potential and limitations, ways to use it and co-develop it. This severely impacts their skills, significantly impacts their employability, and hinders economic growth potential.
Pioneers for AI in Greece is an initiative that aims to create a pool of pioneer innovators that can understand AI, innovate using it and help co-create AI policies and solutions. This is happening by
-training citizens, professionals and companies in AI
-helping them network and innovate
-creating support networks
We are preparing AI-savvy citizens across many sectors: Students and Educators across various sectors, Businesses, Technologists, Humanities scientists, Policymakers.
We are also preparing AI-ready businesses through innovation – focused workshops.
SciFY Not For Profit Company is working on this initiative along with ahedd, the Digital Innovation Hub of NCSR Demokritos (the largest research institute in Greece). In these first steps, we have mobilized resources and support from various institutions.
We have already trained approximately 100 people and organizations, and we are working to help them network and innovate.
Except for the AI book mentioned before (“Αrtificial Ιntelligence: a subtle demystification”, https://aibook.scify.org/), below we support our related expertise through two types of contributions:
(a) publications on multi-disciplinary AI-adoption-centered research and innovation;
(b) actions and awards related to the impact of our work on AI democratization, adoption and upskilling.
1. Theiou, V., Salapatas Gkinis, A., Theofanopoulos, A., Giannakopoulos, G., & Tsitsipanis, C. (2022, September). Using machine learning to predict mortality and morbidity after Traumatic Brain Injury. In Proceedings of the 12th Hellenic Conference on Artificial Intelligence (pp. 1-5).
2. Ricci, E., Giannakopoulos, G., Karkaletsis, V., Theodorou, D. N., & Vergadou, N. (2022, September). Developing Machine-Learned Potentials for Coarse-Grained Molecular Simulations: Challenges and Pitfalls. In Proceedings of the 12th Hellenic Conference on Artificial Intelligence (pp. 1-6).
3. Tsekouras, L., Petasis, G., Giannakopoulos, G., & Kosmopoulos, A. (2020, May). Social Web Observatory: A Platform and Method for Gathering Knowledge on Entities from Different Textual Sources. In Proceedings of the 12th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (pp. 2000-2008).
4. AIIS Erasmus+ project: SciFY trains medical students in AI, soft skills and entrepreneurship
5. ahedd has received a Gold Award at the Hellenic Responsible Business Awards 2022 for its collaboration with Qualco Group supporting research fellowships in the domain of Artificial Intelligence